Develop, test, harden, and demo at Area X.O — a technology-rich, secure research and development complex created for all-weather experimentation.
- 750 hectares/1850 acres private gated site
- One of the most advanced communications infrastructures in the world with 5G
- Real-world urban and rural mobility infrastructure with 16km test track
- Comprehensive networking and sensor infrastructure connected to a centralized command centre
- Certified drone testing capabilities
Testing and validation are critical to the safe implementation of CAVs and mobility solutions, and other innovations that are revolutionizing transportation. Area X.O is your trusted partner in this goal.Learn more
The development, testing, validation, demonstration, and implementation of cutting-edge mobility solutions happens at Area X.O.
Ottawa is a global leader developing the future of Advanced Communications networks. Area X.O works directly with these experts, innovators and firms. We broker introductions, collaborators and projects for the clients we serve.Learn more
How can we put this to work for you? Area X.O is the partner of choice for world leaders in Advanced Communications.
Area X.O is home to the Ottawa Smart Farm – an agritech innovation playground. Whether you’re looking to develop, test, validate, demonstrate or commercialize smart agriculture solutions or Best Management Practices (BMPs), this is the place to do it.Learn more
Leveraging top tech talent and agricultural expertise, we put technology to work to help you make more data-driven, informed decisions that drive.
Defence, aerospace and security
Area X.O helps accelerate the development, testing, validation, demonstration of new security and defence technology-driven products and services.Learn more
Leaders in defence and security are putting Area X.O and world-class expertise to work to advance innovation, R&D and commercialization.
Connected communities and smart infrastructure
Area X.O enables public and private sector innovators to develop, test, demonstrate and implement smart city technologies and urban infrastructure solutions in our high-tech, connected smart city living lab.Learn more
Entrepreneurs, innovators and firms use area X.O to create clean, green and connected communities of the future.
Unmanned aerial vehicles (drones)
Area X.O, in partnership with Indro Robotics, allows the design and implementation of UAV tests, projects, and use cases on our 1,866-acre facility that’s private and gated.Learn more
Area X.O creates opportunities for UAV experts and innovators.
Accelerate your innovation: Discover how we can help you achieve your breakthrough. Subscribe to stay apprised of all developments, news and events at Area X.O
A Complex Complex
When you’ve got this much space, the most state-of-the-art communication infrastructure, and integrated systems, sensors, and development tools, you don’t mind being called complex. We kind of like it.
Area X.O offers:
- Proving ground with 16km test track with simulated urban road surface, school zone, and pedestrian and smart railway crossings
- 4G/LTE, LoRaWan, and authentic pre-commercial 5G (including mmWave) from Nokia and Ericsson
- Cybersecurity solutions, and industry-leading data gathering, analysis and cloud capabilities
- Multiple GPS and satellite systems
- Plug-and-play sensors, power, and fibre connections
- Industry-leading data gathering, analysis, and cloud capabilities and cybersecurity solutions connected to a staff-monitored command centre
- Access to crash avoidance target equipment; an autonomous Lexus 450H; Aurrigo Low Speed
- Autonomous Shuttles; and our 4G/5G-enabled mobile emergency command station
Translate your vision into reality at Area X.O
Top tech developers, entrepreneurs, multinationals, investors and their partners are putting the capabilities of Area X.O to work to achieve their innovation, R&D and business objectives. Read more
Make a lasting contribution to our innovation community and achieve key goals.Become a sponsor and explore opportunities to:
- Contribute to the development of our global innovation playground and the innovators we serve
- Achieve high profile onsite presence and recognition
- Gain ready access to thought leaders, entrepreneurs, R&D and technology leaders, local and global companies
- Acquire advanced visibility of innovations and emerging technologies and the high-potential companies that are bringing them to market
- Scout top talent in tech-driven sectors
- Seize rare networking, R&D and business development opportunities with prospective clients, investors and collaborators
- Host, contribute to or participate in webinars, training sessions and events and this is just the beginning!
To explore customized Area X.O sponsorship opportunities that directly address your goals, please contact Kara Eusebio, Senior Manager of Strategic Partnerships, at [email protected]
“Area X.O has established a bold vision: to unleash and realize the potential, power and impact of visionary technologies to improve our world and human lives. In support of this goal, it was an honour to host the first LSAS trial of its kind in Ontario with many trusted partners. We look forward to building on these outcomes and harnessing the power of collaboration to advance the adoption of smart mobility solutions across our region. This includes the exciting connected autonomous vehicle transit pilot project proposed with Kanata North Tech Park and the City of Ottawa. Together, we will create new capabilities and opportunities for tech innovators and firms, and drive the safe implementation of future public transportation solutions.”
Michael Tremblay, President and CEO, Invest Ottawa, Bayview Yards and Area X.O
“Area X.O is a significant development that recognizes the potential of autonomous systems to impact both on-road and off-road applications, providing engineers a test bed to develop autonomy that improves safety for motorists and makes a variety of industries more efficient and sustainable.”
John Buszek, Hexagon | AutonomouStuff Vice President of Products and Services
“Area X.O has provided Nokia with an unparalleled opportunity to do joint research and development with our industry and government partners. We have used it to test our private LTE and 5G networks with leading companies working on connected and autonomous vehicles, and we have tested our own drones and integrated operations center technology in first responder scenarios such as search and rescue. The facility enables us to put our technology, as well as that of our partners, through the kind of extreme real-world conditions that Canada is famous for. If our Smart City solutions can operate here, they can be adapted to anywhere in the world.”
Calin Miculescu, Director, Sales, Nokia Canada
“The Ottawa smart testing site is a unique range of capabilities that significantly increases the quality of autonomous vehicle integration and test. Since coming onto to the site FourD Robotics™ has established new business collaborations and new opportunities that previously would have been unlikely. FourD Robotics™ has been engaged with Invest Ottawa for several years and actively have resided on the test site for only a few months. Building autonomous vehicles is a complex task requiring a range of capabilities ranging from a garage where we can drive a test vehicle directly onto a realistic test track and connect to advanced precision navigation services and leading edge wireless broad band communications.”
Jeremy James, President & CTO, FourD Robotics™
Canada’s Capital is one of North America’s hottest, most diverse global tech hubs.
Anchored by top tech firms, expertise, and competitive advantages: we can help you achieve your innovation goals.Learn more
Valued Anchor Partners
- Canal Geomatics | Terris GPS
- Cohda Wireless
- ENCQOR 5G
- Farmers Edge
- Hexagon | AutonomouStuff
- InDro Robotics
- MH Corbin
- Kanata North Business Association